Hurrican Selling Styles
As I prepare this issue of this Newsletter, at 37,000 feet on my way to Greenville South Carolina, the east coast is being battered by a Hurricane.
All hurricanes seem to start out as a blip on a distant radar screen. It grows in size and intensity as it draws closer to the shoreline. They don't follow a prepared script or take a predictable path.
At the center, is the famous eye of the storm. Surrounding the eye . . . well, you know the rest.
Some salespeople seem to behave like hurricanes, are you one of them? Answer these questions for a hurricane (style) check.
1. Are you completely organized at the start of every day?
2. Do you enjoy talking more than listening?
3. Does your enthusiasm spill over into loudness when you're talking?
4. If preparation means "in writing" is more than 95% of your typical sales call not prepared?
5. After a sales call, are most of your customers thinking, "WOW" after you leave?
6. Do you have so much experience that you know what your customer's need without having to ask them really good open-ended questions?
Here's a sales tip. As hurricanes approach the East coast, few people are rushing to check-in to the ocean front hotels. Likewise, your potential customers won't be running to open their doors for you if you approach them like a hurricane.